I at last built my dream gaming laptop with RTX 3080 — here’s how

What materials make up your dream gaming computing device? obviously, you'll want a magnificent processor able to handling something games you play. You'll additionally want lots of reminiscence to keep your gaming library, and an honest quantity of RAM. 

however, arguably the most critical part of your construct can be the images card in an effort to vigour your whole gaming endeavors. unluckily, in the mean time, even half-good GPUs are close-impossible to locate. under, I'll share how I nabbed an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card and managed to build my dream gaming computing device regardless of the world chip scarcity. 

From a console to a computer to a laptop workstation 

I've always been a console gamer prior to the pandemic, having relied closely on my PS4 seasoned for all my gaming needs. however, in 2020 I at last made the transition to computing device gaming after paying for the Razer Blade 15 Quartz as my very first gaming laptop.

i like my Razer Blade to bits, and that i nonetheless use it on every occasion I consider like enjoying something greater casual (like Stardew Valley) from the consolation of my couch. but as I began to get into streaming on Twitch and enjoying greater graphically-intensive video games, the greater i spotted that my desktop's NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 simply wasn't effective sufficient to cope with the demand.

I had been saving up for a computer gaming workstation for ages now, however was stymied by the continuing chip shortage. respectable CPUs had been intricate but not impossible to discover, and other components comparable to SSDs, PSUs and RAM were just about as ample as ever. however, attempting to work out where to purchase both the RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 appeared fruitless. On diverse activities I took a bet and tried to play the restock video game with no success — scalpers at all times managed to purchase up each unit the 2d it dropped. 

In June 2021, I determined to try and go for the then-quickly-to-be-launched NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti. unlike within the US, the place a variety of retailers like Walmart to finest purchase were planning on promoting the brand new GPU, Scan.co.uk turned into the simplest UK retailer formally stocking the 3080 Ti at launch. Predictably, their web page crashed minutes into the launch, after scalpers bought out what little stock the united kingdom had in mere seconds. 

Gaming PC with RTX 3080

(picture credit score: Future)

fortunately, frantically clean the Scan web site did finally show to be effective. After failing to nab the RTX 3080 Ti, I came across a pre-built hardware bundle that packed all of the components I had been attempting to find: an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X processor, ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A motherboard and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 images card. 

Let's address the elephant within the room first: retailing at £2,200, the rate of this hardware bundle definitely scared me at the beginning. however, after I took under consideration that it contains many of the priciest components inside a pc, together with a excessive-latitude CPU, GPU, motherboard, 32GB of RAM and all-in-one CPU liquid-cooler, i noticed that it came out to a good deal. Don't agree with me? If we count on retail price for the whole bundle, it involves a complete of about £1,515, which potential you'd be overpaying by using £645. basically, although, buying these components separately would be significantly greater costly on account that at the moment, most RTX 3080s are being resold on Ebay for £1,500 —  more than twice their MSRP of £649. 

gaming setup

(graphic credit score: Future)

once I positioned my order, i was notified through Scan that my order would be fulfilled as quickly as they confirmed that they'd the entire components in inventory. At this factor, my heart sank — I had simply paid a large amount of cash for a GPU that wasn't even assured to be obtainable. luckily, I concerned for nothing, because the whole bundle was dispatched to my tackle inside three days.

while I patiently waited for my new hardware bundle to arrive, I went on Amazon to order something striking components weren't a part of the bundle, including a laptop case, an influence deliver unit and an SSD/HDD. I also needed to order a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, due to the fact that it turned out that the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A motherboard didn't have constructed-in instant capabilities. still, all these elements were distinctly reasonably priced in comparison to the sum I spent on the bundle.

one other minor addition to the 'professional' column for me became the hardware bundle's color scheme. I've all the time been a sucker for a white RGB gaming setup, so once I discovered the RTX 3080 protected as part of the order turned into an ASUS ROG restrained edition GPU, I knew that this piece of package fit the bill completely when it comes to my most reliable aesthetics and performance.

Hardware bundles - are they value it? 

as soon as the entire accessories arrived, it become time to assemble my dream gaming pc. This become my first time inserting one collectively, so it was enormously effortless that the motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM and the liquid cooling unit all got here pre-assembled — practically all that was left to do became to hook the bundle as much as an influence provide and a tough pressure. 

After I made certain that the workstation booted up with no hitch, I unhooked the energy supply and carefully reattached it to the motherboard once all of the add-ons have been put in safely inside my new case. Cable management, although, turned into a completely different story. I had a clear mental photo of what i needed my computer to appear to be, so nearly all of the time I spent engaged on my pc exceptionally consisted of tidying up cables and hiding them anyplace possible to obtain a neat and minimalistic seem. 

once i was ultimately entire, I couldn't aid but admire my efforts - this absolute gaming beast may also now not appear to be it, but i can now finally flow pictures-heavy games like Cyberpunk 2077 on Twitch devoid of so plenty as a stutter in frame-rate. No disrespect to my cherished 2019 Razer Blade 15, but it surely could certainly not pull off any such feat.

gaming PC with RTX 3080

(photo credit score: Future)

standard, my adventure procuring a hardware bundle was overwhelmingly positive. regardless of paying a hefty price tag of £2,200, i was able to purchase a brand-new GPU amidst a global shortage - and on precise of that, i was capable of accomplish that without giving any cash to scalpers. no longer having to muck around with thermal paste become a plus in my e-book too.

Is paying for a pre-assembled hardware bundle with a CPU, GPU, motherboard, RAM and liquid cooler a potential answer for everyone? no longer truly. in my view, it labored for me because I at the start got down to build a fresh gaming workstation wholly from scratch. This bundle would hardly be appropriate for someone who already has a superbly respectable pc and is only looking for an upgrade on their pix card.

base line, I'm chuffed with my new gaming computer, and i don't regret sinking my discounts into a excessive-performance gaming laptop in an effort to remaining me for years to come. Even now, it appears like a bigger discount with every passing day, specially with some analysts predicting that chip shortages may also last via to 2023.

latest highest quality RTX 3080 deals

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080...

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3...

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti XC3...

Comments

Popular Posts